Public Impact Report

A graphic publication design created to showcase the new initiatives and projects that have resulted from the BC Park's License Plate program from 2017 - 2021.


project details


BC Parks


I was responsible for the full publication layout, information hierarchy and visual design of the report. Text content was provided by the client. Data visualizations were created by Roxanne Van Germert who also managed the overall project.


Jacqueline Williams, Roxanne Van Germert


BC Parks


Canva, Figma


1 Month


December 2021

project overview


The main goal for this project was to create a digital publication that would convey the details of a new License Plate program by BC Parks.

It was expected that this project had a quick turnaround and would be ready for review within a couple weeks so I used Canva to create the visuals and layout of this project with my colleague Roxanne Van Germert providing data visualization graphics.

visual design


The visual design direction was focused on using a soft palate of colors (namely beige and blue) that would highlight and differentiate certain sections. I made sure that the colors were very subtle so that the view did not become overly cluttered or visually heavy.

White space was used to separate color blocks and images and to also provide a left hand border that displayed vertical text that indicated the report's high-level details. Since there was lots of text to display, I made sure to use break up areas of text with images, color blocking and lists when applicable.

Outlined and light-weight iconography was used to indicate different the different types of projects being highlighted in the report.


I broke down the report text into various sections and then added headers to each section that spoke to the context of the copy. This allowed for there to be many breaks in the text and make it easier for those reading the report to find relevant sections without going through many lines of copy.

Information hierarchy was incorporated using 3 main header styles, The first and third header style had a smaller font size that was only slightly larger than the body text and had a much heavier font-weight. The first and third header style differ only in color and placement on the pages. For the second header style, a light-weight font style was used that used capital letters and was much larger in size than the other fonts on the page.


project reflections

Something I learned or was reminded of while working on this project was how important it is to understand the subject matter when creating information hierarchy throughout a product. Being able to break down content into bite-sized pieces in a logical way makes a big difference when conveying information in a way that isn't overwhelming or visually chaotic. This was the biggest challenge of the project and why I spent a large portion of time creating that visual hierarchy before starting the visual and graphic design of this project.

I also learned how enjoyable creating static content can be since most of the work I had done up until this point was focused on user experience design where there is a flow and site map to keep in mind.

There are places within the publication where there are breaks in consistency, although unlikely to be noticed at first glance. There are instances on the 4th page where a grey header 1 is being used, while on the rest of the pages, this header color is blue. There are also different stylings of tables being used like on page 23 that lack consistency. If I were to do this project again, I would make sure these elements were updated even if that meant changing elements throughout the whole publication to ensure alignment.

Overall, I am very happy with the outcome of this project and am grateful to have had the opportunity to work on something with few creative constraints, which allowed for a wonderful amount of creative freedom.


Ways to Connect

Feel free to reach out to me if you'd like to learn more about my experience and design work or if you would like to collaborate on something in the future.

Teacup Graphic Image

© Jacqueline Williams 2024 • UX Designer